Clinical residency is the highest form of advanced training of specialists in a particular profession in higher medical institutions of III-IV accreditation levels, post-graduate education institutions and clinical research institutes, centers and the like.
Clinical residency provides the doctor of higher qualification on the basis of previously received education in higher medical institutions of III-IV accreditation levels and post-graduate education institutions and practical experience gained as a specialist in a particular profession.
The main task of clinical residency is the deepening of professional knowledge, increasing the level of skills and abilities of the specialist doctor in his main medical practice.
Training in clinical residency is conducted with day release. Duration of study is 2 years for Ukrainian citizens. The duration of training in clinical residency can be extended with the permission of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine for another 1-2 years for foreign citizens.
Foreign citizens may, with the permission of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, be admitted to the clinical residency immediately after graduating from a higher educational institution and obtaining the “doctor” qualification.
Each doctor simultaneously with his enrollment in the clinical residency, the rector (director) of a higher educational institution (scientific institution) is assigned a head from among doctors (candidates) of sciences or professors (associate professors) – employees of the chair (department, laboratory), where the doctor is trained in clinical residency. The head advises the clinical intern with practical and scientific issues, monitors the implementation of his individual curriculum and is personally responsible for his high-quality scientific and practical training.
The training of clinical residents is carried out under the guidance of highly qualified specialists according to an individual plan, which is developed, taking into account the specifics of the future work of the clinical intern, and is approved by the rector (director) of the higher education institution (scientific institution).
An individual training plan of a clinical resident is approved no later than one month after his enrollment in a clinical residency.
An individual training plan in clinical residency is drawn up in triplicate, of which one copy is sent to the personal file of the clinical resident and it is stored in the department of science (department of international relations) of the higher educational institution (scientific institution), the second copy is kept at the chair (department, laboratory), the third copy is for clinical resident.
The individual training plan in clinical residency for a specific medicinal specialty includes the study of the main specialty, a number of related clinical disciplines, medical statistics, clinical biochemistry and pharmacology, medical genetics, etc.
During training in a clinical residency within the established time limit doctors must:
• complete the individual curriculum completely;
• master modern methods of prevention, diagnostics, treatment of diseases, in accordance with the profile of clinical residency;
• master the methods of conducting basic scientific and practical research;
• master the necessary practical skills and professional skills from the corresponding medical specialty;
• systematically report on the progress of the implementation of the individual plan for the preparation of a clinical resident at the meeting of the chair (department, laboratory) of the higher educational institution (scientific institution), (academic council of the faculty of the scientific institution);
• comply with the rules of the internal labor regulations of the institution of education (scientific institution).
Persons studying in clinical residency have the right:
• to use the educational-production, scientific, cultural-sports, health-improving base of the higher educational institution (scientific institution);
• to receive all kinds of scientific information and counseling in all matters of their medical and diagnostic work;
• to participate through the production meetings of the department in discussing issues related to clinical residency;
• on safe and harmless conditions of study and work;
• for provision of accommodation in a hostel while studying at a higher educational institution (scientific institution);
• to other rights in accordance with the current legislation.
For doctors who have completed their studies in clinical residency, a higher education institution ( scientific institution) is issued a certificate in the prescribed form.